Serpentine/Drive Belt Service
What is a serpentine belt?
Serpentine belt, also known as a drive belt, is a long, continuous belt that wraps around various engine components to drive the accessory systems in a vehicle. It is typically made of durable rubber material reinforced with fiber cords to provide strength and flexibility.
When to replace serpentine belt?
The serpentine belt is a crucial component of a vehicle's engine, and it's important to know when to consider replacing it. Here are some indicators that it may be time to replace the serpentine belt:
1. Cracks or fraying: Inspect the belt for visible signs of wear, such as cracks, fraying, or splitting. Over time, the rubber material of the belt deteriorates, and these signs indicate that the belt is reaching the end of its lifespan.
2. Squealing or chirping noises: If you hear high-pitched squealing or chirping sounds coming from the engine area, especially when accelerating or turning the steering wheel, it could be a sign that the serpentine belt is worn or loose.
3. Glazing: Check for signs of glazing on the belt, which appears as a shiny, glossy appearance on the belt's surface. This indicates excessive heat and friction, which can lead to belt slippage and reduced efficiency.
4. Visible wear: Look for any visible wear on the belt, such as uneven wear patterns or signs of contamination from oil or other fluids. These can impact the belt's performance and longevity.
5. Mileage and maintenance schedule: Refer to the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule for your vehicle. Typically, serpentine belts are recommended to be replaced every 60,000 to 100,000 miles, but this can vary by vehicle make and model.
It's important to note that a worn or damaged serpentine belt can lead to a loss of power steering, overheating, or electrical system issues. Therefore, it's advisable to have the belt inspected regularly by our ASE certified mobile mechanic and replaced as needed to prevent potential problems and ensure the continued smooth operation of the vehicle.
©2018 by A to Z Express Mobile Mechanics Inc.
Serving San Diego County including Poway, Del Mar, University City, Clairemont, Linda Vista, Mira Mesa, Tierrasanta, Kearny Mesa, Miramar, Scrips Ranch, Forest Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo