How Catalytic Converter Works?
A catalytic converter is an essential part of a vehicle's exhaust system that serves to reduce harmful emissions by converting toxic gases into less harmful substances. Here's how it works:
1. Reaction of Carbon Monoxide (CO): When exhaust gases containing carbon monoxide (CO) pass through the catalytic converter, the CO undergoes a chemical reaction with oxygen (O2) to form carbon dioxide (CO2), a less harmful gas.
2. Conversion of Hydrocarbons (HC) and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx): Unburned hydrocarbons (HC) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) present in the exhaust gas react with the catalyst within the converter to be converted into water vapor, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. These converted gases are less harmful to the environment. The catalytic converter contains a catalyst, typically made of precious metals such as platinum, palladium, and rhodium, which facilitate the chemical reactions that transform the harmful exhaust gases into less harmful substances.
When do I replace it?
Catalytic converters generally have a long lifespan and do not need to be replaced frequently. However, there are certain situations when replacement may be necessary:
1. Damage: If the catalytic converter becomes physically damaged due to impacts, corrosion, or overheating, it may need to be replaced.
2. Clogging: Over time, the catalytic converter can become clogged with carbon deposits or other contaminants, which can restrict exhaust flow and hinder engine performance. If the clogging is severe, replacement may be necessary.
3. Check Engine Light: If the "Check Engine" light is illuminated, and diagnostic tests indicate a catalytic converter failure, replacement may be required. It's important to note that if the catalytic converter is not functioning properly, it can result in decreased engine performance, increased emissions, and potential damage to other components in the vehicle. Therefore, if you suspect an issue with the catalytic converter, it's crucial to have it inspect and determine whether replacement is necessary.
Can a mobile mechanic do the job?
Our mobile mechanic team can help you with catalytic converter replacement. We are equipped with the necessary tools and skills to diagnose catalytic converter issues and carry out replacements at a location convenient for the vehicle owner. Mobile mechanics can conduct a thorough inspection of the catalytic converter, diagnose any issues, and replace the unit if necessary. It's important to know that our mobile mechanics are experienced, licensed, and well-equipped to handle the job, as catalytic converter replacement involves working with exhaust components and emissions systems. Additionally, We uses high-quality replacement parts and adheres to all applicable environmental and safety regulations.
©2018 by A to Z Express Mobile Mechanics Inc.
Serving San Diego County including Poway, Del Mar, University City, Clairemont, Linda Vista, Mira Mesa, Tierrasanta, Kearny Mesa, Miramar, Scrips Ranch, Forest Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo